Friday, June 16, 2017

Constantinople- Not Istanbul



The Al Qadim setting for Dungeons and Dragons takes all the best tropes of Arabesque fantasy (ala Sinbad and the Arabian Nights) creating a terrific setting full of genies, flying carpets, and sinister viziers. TSR produced a line of great campaign books full of exciting swashbuckling adventures for Al Qadim. Unfortunately, I don’t blog about, or run 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons. Fortunately, I blog about and run Victoriana.
The arabesque fantasy flavor of Al Qadim is perfect for Victoriana’s alternate fantasy 1850s, I need just somewhere to put these adventures. So, I picked the most interesting place I could think of in the Ottoman Empire: Constantinople.

For the next…however many weeks, I’ll be looking at the people, places, and most of all names of Constantinople. Seriously, “Istanbul was once Constantinople” is just the start. Every place has a name in Turkish, Greek, or Armenian, let alone the English translation, the Anglicized spelling, the incorrect Anglicized spelling, the Phonetic Spelling, and more. I’m digging through the history, checking period map, reading Victorian letters, memoirs, and travel guides trying to find out what is the right name for everything.

To help us all out, I’ll be making a series of maps which eventually I’ll paired with descriptions of Constantinople’s districts, neighborhoods and suburbs. I’m elbow deep in research right now, so this post is little more than a teaser. To make up for that, here is the current rough unfinished map of Constantinople:


No comments:

Post a Comment