Friday, November 25, 2016

From the Other Side of the Screen- Giving Thanks



In the States, we just celebrated Thanksgiving. While the mood of the holiday strikes, I would love to share what I am thankful for with all of you. Don’t worry; this blog will commence its purpose of adapting Victorian history for  role-playing games next Friday.  This past week, I had a number of incredible experiences around gaming tables. I am blessed to game two or three times a week but, I can’t remember a week with more terrific sessions and imaginative joys than this one. 

In my personal group, I got to play Star Wars Edge of the Empire (AS A PLAYER, NOT A GAME MASTER! YES!), and I look forward to many sessions to come. I’ll continue running my Victoriana campaign in January, but I love having another Game Master at the table.

I played over nine hours of the One Ring Role-playing Game in the past week. This campaign is the longest game I’ve played in, and I’ve had the pleasure of helping a group of younger players learn the hobby, experienced personal growth (both in character and out) through long play, and seen deepened relationships at the table.

At last, I received my Shipment from the Dust Tactics Kickstarter. My two year long awaited miniature painting orgy has commenced!  

 I ordered and received expansions for Cthulhu Wars and taught Cthulhu Wars to our gaming club at a local school. The simple elegance of the rules and the fantastic miniatures has taken hold of their imaginations and many clamor to play when I pull out the box. 

Best of all, I have been trying for a while now to introduce more strategic board games to my family at home. I brought home Castle Panic and we are playing together at last.

For all these opportunities for fellowship and fun, service and to be served, I am thankful. I’m thankful for all the people around me who share my love of gaming, or at least oblige my passion by feigning curiosity.  For everyone who has ever run a game for me, or who has played along in my own sessions, thank you. Thanks for correcting, teaching, trusting, encouraging, and improving me by our interaction through play.

My life never had so many opportunities for the games I love. I am very blessed to have so many gamers nearby, and so many open gaming tables in basements, dining rooms, patios, and classrooms. To anyone reading, I hope you have as loving a network of geeks surrounding you, and if you don’t, consider this blog a doorway inside. Happy Thanksgiving.

Next week, I’ll start my month long series, Ghost Stores for Christmas. We’ll look at haunting in Great Britain, how they could inspire adventures for Game Masters, and how they could inspire fear in players.

No comments:

Post a Comment