Friday, October 25, 2019

Their Finest Hour- Dogfights

Two years ago, I wrote a series speculating on an alternate setting for Victoriana moving the timeline ahead 90 years into World War II. I’ve always wanted to return to it, and since those posts consistently generate the most views out of anything in Skullduggery in the Smoke’s history I assume some of you might also like some more.

The Battle of Britain’s front lines were the English skies. After overrunning Western Europe, the German military sat on the continent across the English’s channel and sent wave after wave of fighters and bombers to force Great Britain into signing a peace agreement and accepting the Nazi domination of Europe. The pilots of the Royal Air Force armed with Hurricanes and Spitfires flew to protect their homes from or to avenge their homes on the aerial invaders.

For any game set during the Battle of Britain, these dogfights are a crucial part of that setting. As suggested by its name, the scale of World War II is massive, much larger than a standard combat in Victoriana could satisfyingly replicate. I’ve written Dogfighting rules to enable larger battles and to emulate the incredibly fast incredibly deadly atmosphere of a sortie between entire squadrons of combatants. Optional rules further expand the possibilities and dangers, and I’ve worked out stats for aircraft belonging to both sides. For the next few weeks, I’ll present my Dogfighting rules. At the end, I’ll compile them all (and a few extras) in a pdf for the Blog’s Resources page. This is by far the most mechanically complex project I’ve ever written and feedback is certainly welcome.

Here’s a taste of what’s to come:



No comments:

Post a Comment