Friday, August 17, 2018

City of Countless Names- Illustrations 2


In one week, you will be able to download North of the Golden Horn, bringing Pera-Galata to your own Victoriana campaigns. This week we’re finishing up the last minute details and adding a brand new feature: Random Encounter tables. Thirty-six entries ready to pull players into life on the streets of Pera-Galata, featuring NPC descriptions, interesting choices, plot hooks, and danger.
During its revision and rewriting stage, North of the Golden Shore has blossomed into so much more than I thought it would be. I can’t wait to share the final document with you. For this week, you will have to be content with more of the illustrations gracing its pages.


Until I upload the PDF, the work on the illustrations does not stop. I already had a perfectly good illustration of the Orta Keui Mosque edited and inserted in the document. While looking for something else, I stumbled over this detailed and elegant picture and replaced its inferior predecessor.


Beyond the challenge of just finding pictures of the locations described in this book, I also had to make sure the pictures showed the buildings as they appeared at the time. The iconic Tophane Fountain has been renovated a number of times over the years with a number of major architectural changes to its roof. This picture showed the fountain’s original roof with overhanging eaves and a small dome. After a little editing and some close examination of reference photos, Tophane fountain sits as it did in 1855.


This week, I realized I had neglected Pera’s European high society in the illustrations. Fortunately, I quickly found an appropriate picture with a few persons ready to be transformed into elves and a halfling. The halfling took the most work as I had to put him behind the woman in the foreground, shrink and position him to proper halfling stature, and replace all the background that he once covered. I think it worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment